What's New on JewishGen, 1999
This page highlights developments on the JewishGen web site
during 1999, in reverse chronological order.
Note that this page highlights only major new developments.
JewishGen projects such as ShtetLinks and
the Yizkor Book Project have new pages added
nearly every day; various Regional
Special Interest Groups and databases
are expanded daily.
Back to the JewishGen Home Page
- Dec 26 1999 - 1929 Polish Business Directory -
Nowogrodek Province - Over 15,000 entries from an inter-war Polish business directory.
This area was in Grodno, Vilna and Minsk gubernias of the Russian Empire before WWI,
and is now in Belarus.
- Dec 13 1999 - South Africa Jewish Yearbook
Database - Index of "Who's Who" biographies from a 1929 directory.
- Dec 3 1999 - Lvov Ghetto Database -
Names of over 10,000 Jews in the Ghetto of Lwów Poland, 1942-1945.
- Dec 1 1999 - Genealogy Forum on AOL selects JewishGen as the Best
Site Pick for the month of December 1999, for "its comprehensive nature
in providing a resource for people searching their Jewish heritage.
JewishGen also needs to be commended for realizing the effects of
working as a team not only among their 200+ volunteers but with
numerous other Jewish interest groups as well."
- Nov 11 1999 - New InfoFiles on Passenger
List microfilms. Complete list of U.S. National Archives (NARA)
microfilms of U.S. Passenger Arrival Manifests, with microfilm numbers
for ordering via LDS Family History Centers.
- Nov 10 1999 - Bohemia-Moravia SIG website
and mailing list.
- Sep 14 1999 - Denmark SIG website and
- Sep 13 1999 - Database of German
Jews at Stutthof Concentration Camp - Information on over
2,750 German Jews at this concentration camp near Gdansk.
- Sep 7 1999 - Jewish Holiday Calendar -
displays all Jewish holidays for any Gregorian or Jewish year.
- Aug 12 1999 - Infoseek Search Engine -
a full-text search engine, which can find any word on any page on the
- Aug 2 1999 - Southern Africa SIG web site.
- Jul 30 1999 - The 1906
Rechitsa Uezd Duma Voters List - Nearly 3,000 names from
Minsk Gubernia (Belarus).
- Jul 15 1999 - JewishGen and
Yad Vashem join to record names of Holocaust victims.
- Jun 1 1999 - The 1891
Galician Business Directory database - Over 12,000 names from over
1,000 towns throughout Galicia.
- May 28 1999 -
The Yizkor Book Project's
Translation Project uploaded its 100th translation.
- May 24 1999 - Boston
Jewish Advocate Wedding Announcements Database -
Index to thousands of notices from this Massachusetts newspaper.
- May 6 1999 - Mogilev Birth Index
of boys, 1864-1894. Index of over 9,800 male births in Mogilev,
listed by father's given name.
- Apr 28 1999 - Boston Marriages
Database. Index to nearly 1,000 marriages performed by
Rabbi Aaron Gorovitz of Boston, 1910 to 1956.
- Mar 30 1999 - The American Jewish
Historical Society Manuscript Database. Full descriptions of
over 1100 manuscript collections held by the AJHS.
- Feb 22 1999 - 1903 Vsia Rossiia
Database for Minsk Gubernia. Jewish names from a Russian business
- Feb 22 1999 -
Index to The Last Eyewitness:
Children of the Holocaust Speak.
- Feb 10 1999 - Email discussion groups
for the Galicia SIG and Romania
- Feb 1 1999 - Revised edition of the
Eastern Europe FAQ.
- Jan 26 1999 - New online version of the Family
Tree of the Jewish People (FTJP). New software system.
- Jan 7 1999 -
Minsk Surnames Database online.
An index of surnames appearing in the LDS microfilms of the
Jewish vital records of the city of Minsk.
Last updated 28 Jun 2000 by WSB.