Yekaterinoslav-Dnepropetrovsk Memorial Book
JewishGen Yizkor Book Project Manager
Yekaterinoslav (today Dnepropetrovsk) is located southeast of Ukraine's capital Kiev on the Dnieper River, in the south-central part of the country.
Jews settled in Yekaterinoslav shortly after its founding in 1773. The first Jewish community was formally established in 1793 and built its first wooden synagogue in 1800. By the second half of the nineteenth century the Jewish population of Yekaterinoslav, a quickly developing trade and industrial center, numbered more than 40,000and in 1889 Jews comprised the third largest ethnic group in the city.
Yekaterinoslav in 1905 had the following Jewish educational institutions: ten private schools, a Talmud Torah (400 pupils) founded in 1857, a yeshiva (74 students) and ninety-two hadarim (885 pupils). The Zionist movement had made great progress in the city, the propaganda being carried on by several societies under the leadership of Michael Usishkin. The anti-Jewish outbreaks did not spare Yekaterinoslav. In 1881-1882 and in 1905 pogroms reached the city. Unwilling to remain without protection, Jewish self-defense groups were formed.
Yekaterinoslav was a mining and railroad center. In 1905 and thereafter it was the scene of many workers' strikes and revolutionary activity.
The translation of the Yekaterinoslav yizkor book, as seen by the already translated Table of Contents, will weave together the stories of our ancestors' daily lives against the backdrop of socialism, Zionism, pogroms, and rabbinic study.
Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 25 Feb 2013 by LA