Scarborough Street, Goodman's Fields, London E1
Previously in Mansell Street, London E1 (from at least 1870)
And prior thereto, in Gun Yard (or Gun Square), off Hounsditch, London E.C.3.
Mansell Street runs south
some 1,000 feet from Aldgate High Street (opposite Middlesex Street) to
Prescott (formerly Great Prescott) Street and the new Tower Gateway DLR
is parallel with Leman Street (500 feet to the east) and Minories (400
feet to the west).
Scarborough Street (some
500 feet long) lies to the east of Mansell Street and runs east-west,
parallel with and 300 feet to the north of Prescott Street.
The locality of Gun
Square, previously known as Gun Yard, has been redeveloped and the
square/yard no longer exists. It lay to the east of the southern end of
Hounsditch, approximately in the current position of St. Botolph
Building. (Not to be confused with Gun Street in Spitalfields,
further to the North.)
City of London:
Gun Yard/Square was, and the northern section of Mansell Street is, in the Portsoken Ward of the City of London, within the administrative area
of Greater London.
Until the abolition in 1908 of civil parishes in the
City, they were within the parish of St. Botolph Without Aldgate.
Scarborough Street and the central and southern sections of Mansell
Street are in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Previously, they were in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) within the County of London (established
1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
These roads were also in the civil parish of Whitechapel (in the former County of Middlesex until 1889),
which was abolished in 1927 by
absorption into Stepney Borough parish (until that parish's abolition in
1965). The civil parish of Whitechapel formed a
constituent part of the Whitechapel District from 1856 to 1900.