45 Fashion Street, Spitalfields,
Previously, at 44 Finch
Street, London E1, until about 1904
(Location: Fashion Street (some 600
feet long), in London's East End, runs east from Commercial Street to
Brick Lane, parallel with Fournier Street (300 feet to the north).
(Flower & Dean Street used to run parallel 200 feet to the south but
this no longer exists.) Fashion Street takes its
name from the Huguenot family, Fossan, who developed this area.
Finch Street (now renamed Hopetown Street) is to the south-east of
Fashion Street and runs for some 500 feet east from Brick Lane, north of
Old Montague Street and south of Chicksand Street. The original name of
the street reflects the marriage of Sir George Osborn, whose family
owned much of the locality, to Lady Heneage Finch, in 1742.)
The synagogue takes its name from Yanover (also spelled Janover), a
small town in the Kovno region of Lithuania, from which, presumably, the
founders originated, and which was then part of the Russian Empire.
Fashion Street and
Hopetown Street are now in
the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Fashion Street and Finch Street (now Hopetown Street) were in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) in the County of London
(established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
The locality was also
within the civil parish of Spitalfields, which was abolished in 1921, being absorbed
into the civil parish of Whitechapel, which itself was abolished in 1927
and absorbed into Stepney Borough parish (until that parish's
abolition in 1965).