in London's East End:
14-16 Vallance Road, London E1 (until early/mid 1940's)
Vallance Road, in London's East End, is the northern continuation of New
Road and runs north, for about half a mile, from Whitechapel Road to
Bethnal Green Road. The southern half of the road was previously known
as Baker's Row and the northern half had a number of former names.
The synagogue was close to the southern end of the road.
in Cricklewood (NW
6 Minster Road, Cricklewood, London N.W.2 (from early/mid 1940's)
Minster Road (some 400 feet long), runs north-east from Shoot-Up Hill (a
stretch of the Edgware Road - A5), approximately half a mile south of
Vallance Road is now in
the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Previously, the southern quarter-mile section of Vallance Road (the part
that had previously been known as Baker's Row) was in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (the northern section being in the Metropolitan Borough of
Bethnal Green). The metropolitan boroughs had been established in 1900,
within the County of London (established
1889), and were abolished (with the London County) in 1965.
The southern 400 feet of Vallance Road, which had included the
synagogue, was in the civil parish of Whitechapel (and the
remainder of the street was in the civil parishes of Mile End New Town
or Bethnal Green). The civil parish of Whitechapel (which from 1921 also
included the civil parish of Mile End New Town) was abolished in 1927
to be absorbed into Stepney Borough parish (until that parish's
abolition in 1965).
Minister Road is now in
London Borough of Camden,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London, (The
western Cricklewood is, however, in the London Borough of Brent).
Previously, Minister Road was in the Metropolitan Borough of
Hampstead (established 1900) within the County of London
(established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965.
London's East End address:
From 1 July 1837 - Whitechapel
1 January 1926 - Stepney
1 January 1983 - London Borough of Tower Hamlets (which now holds the registers)
From 19 May 1848 - Hampstead
From 1 October 1977 - Camden