22b Baythorne Street, Limehouse, London E3 (destroyed in German
Air raid during World War II)
Previously in Burdett Road, Limehouse, London E14
656 Commercial Road, London E14
Limehouse, in London's
East End, is on the northern bank of the river Thames opposite
Rotherhithe and between Ratcliff to the west and Poplar and Millwall to
the east and with Bow to the north.
Burdett Road runs north
for about two-thirds of a mile from the A13 (where Commercial Road
becomes the East India Dock Road) to Mile End Road. Baythorne Street is
a short street just to the east of Burdett Road running north from St
Paul's Way, which crosses over Burdett Road, about half way up.)
following notice appeared in the Jewish Chronicle (p.15) of 20 September
SYNAGOGUE AND HEBREW CLASSES
On Sunday evening a meeting was held at 656 Commercial Road, Mr. S.
Richman in the chair. It was decided to form a congregation. Should be
established in conjunction with the Hebrew Classes for the Limehouse
District and that services should be held at the above address."
[Plus names of elected officers]
Limehouse is now in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater London.
Previously, it was in the Metropolitan Borough of
Stepney (established 1900) in the County of London
(established 1889), both of which entities were abolished in 1965. Until 1927,
the locality had also been part of the civil parish of Limehouse.