Goulston Street, London
Originally in White's
Row, London E1
(Location: Goulston Street, in
London's East End, runs south some 800 feet from Wentworth Street to
Whitechapel High Road, parallel with Middlesex Street, just to the west
and Old Castle Street, to the east.
White's Row, some 600
feet to the north of Goulston Street, runs 400 feet west from Commercial
Street to Bell Lane, opposite Fashion Street and parallel with
Brushfield Street, to the north.)
not known when. However, it was not listed in
Geoffrey Alderman's "The
Federation of Synagogues 1887-1987" as one of the London congregations founded prior to 1881, whereas this congregation was
already in existence by 1870.
Goulston Street and
White's Row are now in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets,
created on 1 April 1965, within the administrative area of Greater
Previously, both streets
were in the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney (established 1900) in
the County of London (established 1889), both of which entities were
abolished in 1965.
Goulston Street was
within the civil parish of Whitechapel and White's Row was within
the civil parish of Spitalfield, both of which were in the
former County of Middlesex until 1889 and, from 1856 to 1900, were
constituents of the Whitechapel District.
The civil parish of
Spitalfields was abolished in 1921, being absorbed into the civil parish
of Whitechapel, which itself was abolished in 1927 to be absorbed into
Stepney Borough parish (until that parish's abolition in 1965).