JCR-UK

Bradford Reform Synagogue

Bradford, West Yorkshire

 

 

   
 

Page created: 11 August 2005
Latest revision or update: 26 September 2016
 

Congregation Data

Official Name:

Bradford Synagogue for British and Foreign Jews
(known as the "Jewish Association" until 1886).
Also known as Bradford Reform Synagogue.

Address:

7a Bowland Street, Bradford, BD1 3BW (foundation laid 1878, erected 1880 - Yorkshire's oldest purpose-built synagogue.)

Current Status:

Active. As of 2013, services are held only one Shabbat per month and on festivals.

Date Formed:

1873

Ritual:

Reform

Affiliation:

An original constituent synagogue of the Reform Synagogues of Great Britain (now the Movement for Reform Judaism), which had been formed in 1940, initially under the name Associated British Synagogues.

Affiliated to the West London Synagogue of British Jews since 1880 - It was the third Reform Synagogue to be founded in Britain.

Official Website:

http://www.bradfordsynagogue.co.uk

Notable Minister:

Rabbi Joseph Strauss (founder and first rabbi) - 1873 to 1922.

Marriage Certification:

Group for Certification: West London Synagogue
Appears in 1998 General Registrar Official List
Registration District: Bradford

Membership Data:

1893 - 82 seatholders (Board of Deputies return)

1900 - 67 seatholders (Jewish Year Book 1900/1); 45 (Board of Deputies return)

1999 - 73 (Board of Deputies return)

Cemetery:

From 1877, the congregation had its own cemetery, the Reform Jewish section at Scholemoor Cemetery, Necropolis Road. For details and database see Cemetery Information on Bradford Jewish Community home page.

 

Bradford Jewish Community home page (which includes links to
congregational histories and other articles relating to this congregation)
 

Jewish Congregations in West Yorkshire

Jewish Communities of England home page

List of Reform Synagogue Congregations

 
 


Error processing SSI file