In early 1950, building and cemetery problems again plagued the trustees—crumbling brick, water and drainage problems, a new fence and additional dirt for some of the graves. Finances were nearly drained. The Hovas Hochim congregation refused to give up, and in the spring of 1950, a $1,000 check was received from the estate of Isaac Beitman for perpetual care of the graves of Solomon and Rebecca Beitman.
In May, 1950, Brother Dave Joseph, cemetery trustee, reported to the congregation "that all was peaceful and quiet, but a fence was badly needed." The Shul picnic was held in cooperation with the B'Nai Brith Society. Consideration was again given to holding Sunday meetings in an effort to generate new interest.
In the late Fifties and early Sixties, the Jewish community continued to decline in numbers and the needed repairs to the building increased. However, the congregation voted to air-condition the Shul and to pay for the costs from poker receipts. They again tried Sunday services, and those who were active in the Ladies Auxiliary and the Men's Fellowship were dedicated workers for their synagogue. Members were now attending from Washington, Indiana and Lawrenceville, Olney, Mt. Carmel, Robinson and Lawrenceville, Illinois. One of the dedicated Sunday School teachers was Sally Yosowitz.
Finally in 1965 a decision was made to close the Shul. Stan Dumes was president of the congregation at this time. Phyllis said after the synagogue officially closed, a very real sense of loss was felt among the remaining Jewish families. After moving