among the members, and they began having suppers prior to the monthly meetings.
In the mid-1940's materials were unavailable, and repairs to the furnace and Shul had to be postponed. The congregation and trustees were constantly concerned about the upkeep of the cemetery, and even though funds were short, the caretaker's salary was raised to maintain it in proper condition.
In 1947, the Shul held joint meetings with the B'Nai Brith Society of Vincennes. ("B'Nai Brith is a national Jewish society
which was organized in 1843 and devotes itself to philanthropic and community activities.")25 There was no Purim play that
year, but the Sunday School classes were begun, and an attempt was made to have the meetings on Sunday nights to generate better attendance. However, the Ladies Auxiliary rejected the idea.
Some of the rabbis who came to conduct services in the late Forties were: Rabbi Morris Noble of the Hebrew Theological Seminary of Chicago, who came several times; Rabbi Douglas of Evansville; Rabbi Albert Goldrich; Rabbi Jack Weintraub of St. Louis, and Rabbi Morris Gordon. Others came from the Hebrew Seminary at Cincinnati. The fee for a rabbi's services varied from $350 to $500, plus traveling expenses, which was not easy for the small congregation to finance. In the late Fifties and early Sixties, the fee increased even more. (Minutes)
In 1947, the congregation agreed to construct a 15½ x 34½ foot meeting room as an addition to the Shul, and a pledge committee began work to raise the money for the addition. In