others also served the Vincennes community. In later years, the congregation did have rabbis come from time to time for the High Holidays. During the war years, the rabbis also conducted services for the Jewish airmen stationed at George Field, Illinois, located approximately nine miles from Vincennes. Many times the
congregation hired a chazzen, a trained professional singer, who
assisted the rabbi in the religious services.21
One of the special festivals held by the local Jewish congregation was the Purim Festival, which celebrated the rescue of the Jews of Persia by the Jewish Queen Esther from Haman's plot to exterminate every man, woman and child. Sam Rosenberg often read the Megillah, the Scroll of Esther, as did many of the other learned men. Al Rosenberg recalled being in this play in the hall mentioned earlier in the paper, and in later years the Dumes and Rosenberg children participated with other children of the Jewish community in the play.
The congregation transformed a small grocery store on the corner of Eighth and Harrison Streets into the Hovas Hochim Congregation in 1935, and services were held in the synagogue on a regular basis until 1965. In 1976, the building was demolished, and the religious artifacts moved to the non-demoninational Maria Creek Chapel on the campus of Vincennes University. Two Torahs, which include the basic rules of Judaism and prescribe the religious rites, a stone carving of the Ten Commandments,
and a memorial plaque listing prominent members of the congregation
22 were included among the artifacts.