Jewish Communist Organization in Latvia
Documents obtained and donated by Paul Berkay and transcribed by Jerry Becker
- Jewish Section (Communist Verband) autonomous organization of the Jewish proletariat of Latvia, constituting a portion of the Lettish communist party, and acting on a joint platform adopted by the Central Committee of the Lettish Communist Party and the Conference of the Joint Bund of Latvia.
- To the Jewish Section belong all those Jewish Communists who acknowledge the autonomy of the Jewish labor movement, and accept the joint platform.
- With a view to attaining complete and thorough unification and concerted action of the entire proletariat organized by the Lettish Communist party, the members of the sections are at the same time members of the united party, groups, etc., acting under the guidance of the usual party organs.
- The members of the Jewish Section participate in the local governing organs of the party the same as all members of the Lettish Communist Party, and submit in all questions concerning general policy, to resolutions of congresses, conferences, and the Central Committee of the Party.
- Within the limits of the program and resolutions of party congresses, the Jewish Section shall enjoy independence with respect to propaganda, in the sphere of cultural activity, among Jewish laborers and the toiling masses, also in tactical questions concerning the attitude towards Jewish parties and social organizations, and, generally speaking, in all matters bearing upon Jewish affairs only.
- The Section shall have the right to organize assemblies, meetings, and lectures, to organize party schools, cultural-educational establishments of any description for their members and Jewish laborers in general, such as clubs, workingmens houses, evening classes, etc.
- The mode of enrolling new members shall be the same as adopted in the Lettish Communist Party. Every person joining the Section, ipso facto becomes a member of the Lettish Communist Party, is entered on the lists of members of the local organization of the Lettish Communist Party, with a special note that he is a member of the Jewish Section, and receives, through the bureau of the Section, his party ticket. On the party tickets of section members, the general party seal, as well as the seal of the local section must be affixed also the signature of the secretary of such section. Members of the section have to make their contributions to the Party through the bureau of the Section.
- For the purpose of coping with tasks to be solved by the Section, the Section convenes general meetings of the members of the Section, congresses and conferences, racial as well as general-Latvian, and appoints local committees, consisting of 3-5 persons, and central committees at a general-Latvian congress or conference. Local sections submit to resolutions of congresses, conferences, and regulations of the sections in accordance with the general principles of party discipline.
- All members of the Section are at the direct disposal of the section. Responsible workers of the section can be transferred from one kind of work to another only with the consent of the respective bureau of the section.
- The activity of the section must be known to the local party committee, and is under the control of the Central Committee of the Party.
- The local party committee has control over all resolutions of the local section which are not based on resolutions of Conferences.
- The Jewish Communist Youths Organization is identical with, and part of the Lettish Communist Youths Association. The spiritual guidance of the Jewish Communist Youths Organization rests in the hands of the Section. The resolutions of the Section are binding on the Youths Organization.
- The program of the Latvian Bund is identical with the program of the Lettish Communist Party.
- The Bund is part of the Lettish Communist Party, as the communist organization of the Jewish proletariat, and its purpose is concertedness of operations in line with the entire proletariat organized in the Lettish Communist Party, on the basis of separate groups, fractions, etc., under the guidance of party organs, central, as well as local.
- Within the limits of resolutions adopted by congresses and conferences of the Lettish Communist Party, the Bund, as the autonomous communist organization of the Jewish Proletariat, enjoys independence in all matters concerning agitation and propaganda among Jewish laborers and toiling masses in the sphere of culture and education, in tactical questions regarding the attitude towards Jewish parties and social organizations, and in all other matters concerning Jewish affairs only.
- For the carrying out of the above tasks. The Bund organizes autonomous local and central organs, convenes congresses and conferences, etc. The local organizations of the Bund are subordinated to the Central Bureau on the principles of general party discipline, and take for their guidance the resolutions of their congresses and conferences.
- The organizations of the Bund operate with the knowledge of the responsible general party organs, and under the control of the Central Committee of the Lettish Communist Party. The autonomous organization of the Jewish proletariat forming part of the Lettish Communist Party has adopted, with the consent of the Party, the name of Jewish Section of the Lettish Communist Party (Comverband).