1907 Slutsk Uyezd Duma List
Surnames starting with the letter J
by the Belarus SIG
translated by Vitaly Charny, Edward Rosenbaum, and others
- The 1907 Slutsk Uyezd duma list contains 4070 names.
- Some of these records have nothing in the CATEGORY field. It could not be determined from the records if this means that there was no CATEGORY, or if this record has the same CATEGORY as the previous record in the list.
- In the NATIONALITY column, the word 'magomet' is short for 'magometanin' (Muslim). Practically all Belorussian Muslim were Tatars by nationality.
- Christians of Jewish origin were (and are) Jews by nationality in Russia.
- The nationality column was added to the duma lists in 1907. In similar lists for other uyezds, the nationality column was sometimes used for titles of nobility (nationality - baron!) or profession (nationality - telegraph operator...!!!) and so on...
- It is interesting that there were no Belorussians in most lists for the Belarus gubernias... Belorussians Orthodox were considered as Russian and Belorussian Catholics as Poles. Or maybe all Belorussians were simply considered as Russians.
- In fact those lists that we work with are for townfolks and most Belorussians were local peasantry.
- Besides what is listed below, there is no other information available for the individuals in this duma list.
For more information on duma
lists, please visit the Duma
Voter List FAQ
Duma project coordinators: Risa Heywood and Riki Vered